Boston Real Estate Law News - Find a MA Real Estate Attorney

Boston Man Gets Creative in Paying for Hurricane Sandy Repairs

After Hurricane Sandy left devastation in the Northeast, many are trying to pick up the shattered pieces of what Sandy left behind in her wake. And many are finding that their home repair costs aren't covered by homeowners' insurance, flood insurance or by any other means.

This could be for many reasons. Perhaps their insurance doesn't cover the type of damage that they are trying to redress. It could be because they simply don't have insurance. Or it could be that they've exhausted their insurance coverage and they need more money.

Whatever the reason, many are left with repair bills but not enough cash on hand to pay these repair costs.

So, some homeowners are starting to get creative.

Take the story of this one Boston area man, who created an online crowd-funding campaign to collect funds for the repair of his home.

Stuart McEwing says that Hurricane Sandy cost him over $150,000 in repairs. While he's listed a goal of $10,000 for fundraising, on day 12 of his campaign he had only reached $650.

Crowdfunding is just one way to help pay the bills for Superstorm Sandy's destruction. If insurance doesn't cover the costs, there are other ways.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has come forward to say that it will give assistance in helping Hurricane Sandy victims rebuild their homes. Or, at least it will do so in certain counties that have been declared by FEMA as disaster zones.

The way this works is simple -- FEMA will cover the costs of the repairs not ordinarily covered by insurance. This doesn't include all houses, though. As a result, many are upset that FEMA won't cover the costs in repairing their vacation homes, since those aren't primary residences.

The starting point is that a homeowner needs to see what insurance will cover, by way of repairs.

Unfortunately for Bostonians, insurance and crowdfunding might be their only options, as the FEMA program doesn't yet extend to Massachusetts.

Related Resources: