Boston Real Estate Law News - Find a MA Real Estate Attorney

How to Prepare for Your Move to Boston

Moving to Boston? There are many things you need to do to prepare for your move, from researching moving companies to obtaining permits for moving day.

Here's what you need to know:

Finalize your legal paperwork for moving into the house. If you've purchased a house, make sure that escrow will close on or by the day you plan to move in, and make sure you have your keys. If you're renting, confirm with the landlord that the premises are vacant and that you can move in on your proposed moving day. In both cases, make sure that you check the paperwork and satisfy any necessary conditions prior to your moving day. The last thing you want is to be packed and ready to move out of your old place with nowhere to go.

Change your address. You don't want important legal documents, bills or other correspondence to go to the wrong house. Make sure you update your address with the U.S. Postal Service.

Research your mover. The Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities, Transportation Division, mandates that a moving company be licensed with the Division. The Division also keeps track of moving rates on their website. If you want to check up on a moving company, check out the Division's website or call (617) 305-3559.

Get your Street Occupancy and Moving permits. In Boston, you need to get a Street Occupancy permit to block off part of the street for your move. You can do this by going to City Hall in person between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

You need to go to the Public Works Department in room 715 of City Hall. These permits are typically one-day permits from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

You need to get this permit at least three days before your move if you're moving into a residential area, and at least two days in advance if you're moving in to metered areas. You also need to post signs at least 48 hours prior to your move.

Visit the City of Boston's website for more information on Street Occupancy permits.

Get homeowner's or renter's insurance. This is an important step prior to moving in. It won't necessarily prevent you from moving in, unless your lease or purchase agreement requires it.

This post is part of FindLaw's Legal U series. We are working to help you learn what to do in your city to cope with some of the legal problems, questions, or issues that come up in daily life. Do you have a topic suggestion? Send us a tweet @FindLawConsumer with the hashtag #LegalU and come on back to learn more from future posts in this series.

Related Resources: